First of all if you want to succeed in your weight loss journey it’s vital that you plan. Not just meals but snacks too. It’s way too easy to grab something out of the vending machine at work or run through the drive thru for an order of fries, or grab something off the shelf at the gas station. Healthy snacks are just as important as healthy meals.
A perfect snack is a combination of both carbohydrates and protein. This combination is going to give you a longer lasting amount of energy until your next meal therefore keeping you much more satisfied. In addition, protein takes more energy to digest so you are burning calories while your body is working to digest it. Every snack doesn’t have to have this make up but it’s something to keep in mind when planning out the snacks you will eat for the week.
Almost all of us need work on this, the struggle is real, even for me. Sometimes I really get in a rut…what are we going to have for snacks? Having ideas on hand is so important so you can plan your week ahead, just like your meals. It’s what’s going to help you succeed!
25 Healthy Snacks To Have On Hand In A Pinch
25. Half apple with 2 tsp natural peanut butter (peanuts/salt) *no sugar
24. Half peach with 2 tbs plain greek yogurt
23. 1/4 cup egg salad with lettuce leaf or endive
22. 1/2 cup Edamame
21. 1 cup chickpea/red bean salad (toss diced celery, green pepper, beans, fresh parsley together with a low-calorie balsamic vinaigrette)
20. 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese with 5 strawberries
19. 1 slice Wasa crispbread with 1oz smoked salmon
18. Eggplant pizza slice (sprinkle slice of eggplant with oregano and roast. Melt sprinkle of cheese on top)
17. Half a bell pepper with 3 tbs of hummus
16. 5 cherry tomatoes with 1oz of cheese
15. 1 egg scrambled with 1 tbs shredded cheese
14. Half apple with 3 whole walnuts
13. 3oz mixed nuts
12. Half of a small avocado
11. 1 square 70% or higher dark chocolate with 5 almonds
10. 1 slice whole grain bread with 2oz fat-free turkey breast
9. 1 serving string cheese
8. 3 celery sticks with 1 tsp natural peanut butter
7. 1/2 cup blueberries or strawberries with 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
6. 3/4oz of tuna (in water) mixed with 1 tbsp hummus served on endive leaf
5. 12 cashews
6. Grilled portabella mushroom with a sprinkle of cheese
5. Hardboiled egg
4. 1 slice of tomato with 1oz of cheese (cheese size of AA battery)
3. 1 cup fresh veggie mix: red pepper and raw broccoli florets with1 tbsp low-fat ranch dressing
2. 1/2 cup couscous with celery sticks
1. Portion controlled meal replacement; this assures you are getting a 100-calorie, low glycemic, nutrient dense healthy food source. *ask me more about this option
This list should rock your healthy world because it is full of healthy snacks. You have plenty to choose from, try and see what you like so you can put it on your “it’s a keeper” list. Include these types of snacks into your diet as much as possible vs. the “junky” stuff. Would love to know your healthy go-to snacks, drop me a comment below.